Thursday, August 21, 2014

Black and White

I have been following the news from Ferguson, Missouri during the past week.  Vermont is one of the whitest states in the union and it’s easy if you are white to dismiss race relations in the rest of the country becauase you live here and can be somewhat blissfully ignorant of reality.  I also have had great respect for the law over the years.  But let me tell you a story that took place in February of 1981 in Sheboygan Falls Wisconsin.  Admittedly it has been 33 year so my memory is probably not completely correct.  Bear with me as I will get to the point at the end of the story.

I got hired by the U.S. Ski Association (which was headquartered in Brattleboro back then) right out of college to work as a mobile ski Nordic ski coach.  Bill Koch had won a silver medal at the Innsbruck Olympics in 1976 and the Travelers Insurance Company had sponsored the nationwide rollout of the Bill Koch Ski League and they funded a team of traveling coaches to crisscross the country and put on ski clinics.  I was paired with another coach, Rob, and we set out in November of 1980 and headed out on a circuitous route that took us to Washington, Oregon and California before Christmas then back through the Rockies (Utah, Idaho, Colorado and Montana) and then in February through Minnesota and Wisconsin.  Our typical day consisted of visit to an elementary school in a small town somewhere in ski country where if there was adequate snow we would pull 80 pairs of skis out of our white Ford van emblazoned with cross country skiers and the U.S. Ski Association logo and the Travelers Insurance logo and we would teach the physical education classes at elementary schools how to cross country ski.  We were usually hosted by a local ski club and if we were lucky we would get a spare bed or a couch in somebody’s house to sleep on and we could bank our meager per diem.
Rob and me leaving VT Nov, 1980

In February we were nearing the end of our five month contract and Rob and I had settled into a routine.  Rob played the banjo and I was a bicycle aficionado so in every small town we had to check to see if there was a local music store and a local bicycle shop.  Rob was constantly trading one banjo for another and often left a small town with a different banjo than the one he entered town with.  I was constantly looking for a deal on bicycles.  I found only one, a Motobecane tandem in Walla Walla that I bought for $450 and have until this day, a purchase that has served me well over the years.

We entered Sheboygan Falls about two hours before dusk on a Thursday night in February.  We stopped at a phone booth and called our local contact but there was no answer.  We drove through the small downtown a couple times and found a parking lot and parked the van.  We got out and walked around town as the sun set.  There was a music shop but no bicycle shop.  Rob checked out the music shop and I went to a drug store and bought post cards. I tried the local contact’s phone number again to no avail.  Rob and I met back at the van around 4:30.  We decided we would wait an hour and call our contact again.  We got in the van.  I used what little light was left to write post cards.  Rob got his banjo out and began playing.  As it got dark I turned on the overhead light in the van to keep writing post cards.  The van windows steamed up.

After about 45 minutes there was a knock on my door of the van.  There was a knock on Rob’s door.  I was in the passenger seat while Rob was in the driver’s seat. I rolled down the window (hand cranks back then) and was startled to see a police officer.  Rob rolled his window down and saw the same thing on his side.  Three or four police cars and at least six officers is how I remember it.  At least one on my side had a drawn weapon.  We were asked to exit the vehicle “slowly” and put our hands up and on the van.  We were frisked. Rob was on one side of the van and I was on the other.  Rob started to protest, the officer essentially told him to shut up, Rob protested again.  I told Rob to shut up.  The officer fished my wallet out of my back pocket and began asking me questions.  Where did we come from? Where were we going? What was in the van? (umm 80 pairs of skis, a sled to pull kids around, some soccer balls, a Traveler’s Insurance umbrella – no kidding really we had a Travelers umbrella and we would set it up at each event because heck they paid for us to travel around- a banjo, a bicycle, etc.).  What seemed like a long time elapsed with both of us spread eagle against each side of the van, probably it was only five minutes?  Then the officers seemed to relax…they gave us our wallets back.  They said we were free to leave.  One of them said something I remember to this day “nobody’s rights were violated here, you can leave now.”  What did “nobody’s rights were violated mean?” At the time we were just glad it was over.  I started shaking a bit later.

Later that night when we were safely ensconced with our local contact (a fine upstanding Sheboygan Falls citizen) he called the chief of police (in small towns everyone knows everyone) and found out that once per month for the past several months there had been an armed robbery in Sheboygan Falls.  The M.O was always the same.  A white van with out of state plates would arrive a bit before dusk and drive back and forth around town.  The occupants would leave the van and case a location and then with a sawed off shotgun retrieved from the van they would carry out a robbery and leave town quickly.  We were reported soon after hitting town. We were followed as we walked around and when the police saw the banjo Rob was playing as the window’s fogged up all they thought was that it was a sawed off shotgun and they had their perpetrators.  All’s well that ends well and we were amused at the time when we understood the story. The story is mildly amusing now with 33 years between us and the incident.

But in light of the events of the past few weeks I can’t help but think one simple thing:  What might have happened if Rob and I had been black?

Cairn Cross

2 comments: